Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thanksgiving is coming!

And its time to get ready. No, no, not turkey, I'm talking about counter tops! Specifically, our butcher block counter top. Last week I did some research and requested some samples. We got four different kinds (clockwise from top left): red oak, birch, knotty alder and walnut.



We quickly ruled out the red oak (too stripy) and birch (too commercial) which left us with the knotty alder and walnut. We were having a tough time deciding so today I went to Menards to check out the counter resurfacing colors. I figured that way we could get a feel for what works. So I picked up a couple pamphlets, cut out the swatch for the color we like and taped them together


And that made it a little more clear. We both love the color of the knotty alder, but the walnut will really tie it all together. So, Walnut wins!

But if you liked the knotty alder better, don't be sad. We are thinking of doing the floors that color. It'll be lovely, I promise. Now all I need to do is call tomorrow and order it up and it should be here by Thanksgiving. Next up, materials to replace the beams....

No comments:

Post a Comment